How much light does my bonsai need?

gwtamaraJanuary 1, 2013

> It is very important for you to identify what type of bonsai you have, as different types of trees have different light requirements.

> Remember all trees live outside year round in their native habitat. Thus, the more sunlight they receive, the better they will grow.

> Some very general guidelines for temperate climate, woody trees are: Most conifers require a lot of light, full sun all day is preferable. Most broad leafed trees like a lot of light but will do well in partial shade. Some broad leafed evergreens like azaleas are shade tolerant.

> Tropical and semi-tropical trees are equally variable, and must be approached on an individual basis.

> Most trees will not survive indoors without supplemental, artificial lighting.

> For indoor wintering of tropical and sub-tropical trees in cold climates, many enthusiasts prefer fluorescent bulbs, one warm spectrum and one cool spectrum in the same fixture. Commercial fluorescent grow lights are also available. Place the trees as close to the bulbs as you can. Leave the lights on for 16-18 hours a day.

> Incandescent grow light bulbs are available but are not of much use unless used for one or two plants that dont need a lot of light. These bulbs get very hot and will burn foliage if placed too near a tree.

> When a tree gets diminished light levels, water and fertilizer must be applied with less frequency.

More Discussions
What is bonsai and how do I care for one?
> Bonsai is pronounced bone-sigh, not banzai. >...
gwtamara
How do I prepare my outdoor bonsai for winter?
> Obviously you do not have to worry about winter...
gwtamara
Which plants need to be grown outdoors?
> Suitable outdoor trees will, of course, vary from...
gwtamara
When is the best time to repot and how should I do it?
> Potting is one of the most complicated subjects...
gwtamara
How do I prune my bonsai?
> In bonsai the terms pruning and pinching are used...
gwtamara
Sponsored Products
Produzione Privata | Fatina Table Lamp
YLiving.com
Essex 16" Wide Dyed Bronze Metal Pendant Light
Lamps Plus
Progress Lighting 6 In. White Open Trim for Shallow Recessed Housings P8073-28
$10.80 | Home Depot
Artemide | Tolomeo Classic LED MWL Table Lamp
YLiving.com
Possini Euro Tret 11 3/4" LED Grid Chrome Ceiling Light
Euro Style Lighting