Advanced hydro - nutrient calculations

baci(z10Ca)January 1, 2013

emmaF 5/6/04 at 17:25

I am looking to find out what how some fertilizers are made. The derived from list is written, i.e. derived from EDTA chelates of Manganese, Potassium Nitrate etc., and the analysis of the % of Nitrogen is written and divided into what types, but of course the chemical compounds and proportions used are secret. I have looked for information on this online but only can find results from some states metals testing of fertilizers. The fertilizer companies will not reveal this information. Is there a way I can get a near accurate idea? I have trouble enough typing, so I dont think I can figure this one out on my own. Any suggestions will be great! Thanks

emmaF 5/23/04 at 20:09

I am looking to find out specifically about a few of the most popular liquid hydroponic nutrients on the market. How much of each ingredients do they use to get the final product. Ingredients are listed but the amounts/ method are almost always a trade secret. Thank you for all the leads, I will check them out now.

emmaF 5/26/04 @ 1:57

I would like to make a recipe using the following:

Amonium Nitrate Magnesium Nitrate Potassium Nitrate Magnesium Phosphate Potassium Phosphate Potassium Carbonate Potassium Sulfate Magnesium Carbonate Magnesium Sulfate

Ending with a liquid fertilizer with an analysis of 2-1-6 (with0.5Mg) Using these things what might be the correct proportion in % or grams --roughly o.k. also--would be needed.

Response: DHershey 7/24/04 @ 21:15

Fertilizer formulas are not secret. All the information needed is on the label. You just have to know how to do the calculations, which are rather challenging.

The ratio you have is very strange, N is far too low relative to P and K. Despite that, here's one of several ways you could make one liter of your 2-1-6 solution.

First you have to convert the 2-1-6, which is an archaic N-P2O5-K2O, to N-P-K.

P2O5 x 0.43 = %P K2O x 0.83 = %K

After conversion, you have 2N-0.43P-4.98K

I'm assuming you want to use all nitrate-N. You need to know the elemental percentages for each of your fertilizer salts. They should be on the fertilizer container. Remember to convert P2O5 and K2O to P and K.

1. Start with the 0.5 Mg and use magnesium nitrate - Mg(NO3)2 6H2O - which has a molecular weight of 256.41. The molecular weight of Mg is 24.3 so 24.3/256.41 x 100 = 9.5 % Mg

Multiply the percentage required by 10,000 to get mg/liter. The 0.5 Mg is roughly equivalent to 5,000 mg/liter or 5 g/liter.

To determine how much magnesium nitrate is required to give 5 g Mg, divide 5 by the %Mg in magnesium nitrate written as a decimal. So 5/0.095 =

52.6 g magnesium nitrate per liter 2. Determine how much nitrogen is supplied by magnesium nitrate. The percent N in magnesium sulfate is 28/256.41 x 100 = 10.9% so the 52.6 g magnesium nitrate provides 0.109 x 52.6 = 5.7 g N

3. Use monopotassium phosphate to provide the 0.43P. Monopotassium phosphate (KH2PO4) contains...

More Discussions
6. Net pots
Net pots support the plant and allow plant roots to...
baci
Media
Posts included in this FAQ are: LECA L.E.C.A. High...
baci
9. Nutrient
Over twenty elements are needed for a plant to grow....
baci
EC, PPM, pH meters
EC, PPM, pH meters Posted topics included in this FAQ...
baci
Net pots
wdelaney: Net pots function to support the plant. Willard3:...
baci
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™