List Of Books Recommended By Forum Members

gregoryjohn(z4b/IL)January 1, 2013

Below is a list of some of the books members of this forum have recommended. While this list certainly does not represent the complete list of books on this subject it is a good place to start. Some books were recommended without the member adding commentary. If you have read any of these books and would like to add to the books comments, please let me know (see link at bottom of page). Corrections and additions will be made expeditiously as they are requested.A Japanese Garden Journey: Through Ancient Stones and Dragon BonesAuthor(s): Judith Klingsick Comments: I know it is a small hardcover book: 44 pages. A Japanese Touch For Your GardenAuthor(s): Kiyoshi Seike Masanobu Kudo and David H. Engel Comments: Has a wealth of practical information Art of Japanese Gardens: Designing & Making Your own Peaceful SpaceAuthor(s): Herb Gufstafson Comments: It is a wonderful book Colors in KyotoAuthor(s): Kenji Hashimoto and Michiko Takagi Comments: It has wonderful photos of the details that make Japanese style Japanese. Creating Japanese GardensAuthor(s): Philip Cave Comments: I almost didn't get Cave's book but it is truly beautiful. Enhance Your Garden with Japanese Plants - a practical sourcebookAuthor(s): Judy Glattstein Comments: An introduction to and history of Japanese plants in America is followed by sections describing and providing cultivation information Garden Art Of Japan, TheAuthor(s): Masao Hayakawa Comments: It has some striking pictures. There are a few colour plates, but the rest of the pictures are in black and white. To me, one of the most powerful pictures is one of the stone arrangement in the upper garden, Saiho-ji, Kyoto. The author writes of it as '...a crystallization of the spirit of the great priest Muso Soseki - a spirit that truly revolutionized Japanese garden design in the medieval age.' A little further on, he refers to the upper garden as representing 'the deeply ascetic outlook of Zen.....' Chapter 4 is entitled 'The World Of The Dry-Landscape Garden and the sub-heading 'Gardens for Zen Discipline'. It begins - 'Muso Soseki attempted to give physical form to his Zen Philosophy in the dry-landscape garden of Saiho-ji and the dry waterfall stone group in the garden of Tenryu-ji. Such gardens are in themselves a means towards Zen self-examination, spiritual refinement and ultimate enlightenment. They therefore belong to a dimension of creativity entirely different (my underlining) from that of gardens designed for pleasure or for the gratification of aesthetic tastes......' I found it difficult to put the book down. Garden Views I - Modern Japanese GardensAuthor(s): Tatsui Teien Kenkyujo Comments: Garden Views II - Stone & Sand GardensAuthor(s): Tatsui Teien Kenkyujo Comments: Garden Views III - Water & Stream GardensAuthor(s): Tatsui Teien Kenkyujo Comments: Garden Views IV - Tree & Moss GardensAuthor(s): Tatsui Teien Kenkyujo Comments: Gardening The Japanese...

Sponsored Products
Black Five-tier 2-piece Leaning Ladder Shelf Set
Overstock.com
Steady Ride Bookends - Set of 2
$57.99 | Dot & Bo
Crosswords 15-Oz. Mug - Set of Four
$19.99 | zulily
Tuscana Assorted Colors Stemless Wine Goblets
Classic Hostess
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs Clara
Home Depot
Ingo Maurer | Birdie's Nest Ceiling Light