JUNK You Can Plant In

klynnnn(z8 SC USA)January 1, 2013

Posted by Bigred: I just fished an old blue splatterware dutch oven out of my neighbor's scrap pile, punched holes in the bottom and potted it up w/impatients, coleus and caladiums. Turned out so pretty now I'm on the hunt for other junk to pot up. I also have an old chair w/ bottom planted and a septic tank clean out box planted 2-3 years w/semps,and other rock garden plants that have just gone wild so now I'm hooked on using "junk" to plant in.

Posted by xkmorris: Well when I retired last year I also retired my old steel toe work boots. They are planted with plants now and looks pretty good.

Posted by klynnnn: I have an old gray enamelware pot that I partially buried on its side and I have thyme planted in that next to some rosemary

Posted by patricia_mi: While I was up visiting my Fathers 40 acre christmas tree farm, I found an old metal childs potty (white) with several holes in it. I was thinking some pretty strawberry plants or hen & chicks would look nice.

Posted by goofyj: I like baskets and have one small one with a lid that opens and makes a backdrop for the plants. I also have a picnic basket that the lids open to the middle and I will put pots of mums in; a kids tractor about 18" tall with plants inside, and a kids rocking chair with pot on the seat. Problem is the deer, now they jump up on the porch to taste the goodies.

Posted by Phyllis__MN: Last year I planted an old coal bucket with impatiens, which looked really nice, and a Red Flyer wagon with fibrous begonias which was gorgeous. I have a pair of black rubber kids boots that are going to be planted with shasta daisies today.

Posted by Bigred: Sets me to thinking about the old wooden soda crates I have out back. Since semps don't need much watering maybe plant 2/3 in semps and fill the other holes w/ gravel. Have an old wooden tool caddy (double wide) that would look great w/pots of mums in the fall.

Posted by chancygardener: I have this cute wooden crate type thingie from the grocery's dumpster. Green beans came in it (stamped on front that its beans). It's that real thin wood that's tied/hinged with thin wire and a lid that's hinged on so that's its like a box. I put 2 old black nursery pots full of my geranium cuttings and jew cuttings inside (the pots don't show).

Posted by Seamommy: Out by the well house I have a copper tea kettle someone threw out. I put a hole in the bottom and partly buried it. It looks pretty cute too.

Posted by luvsroses: I planted snapdragons in a little metal wheelbarrow. It is only about 7 inches tall or so.

Posted by pplantlady: I plant up everything.....boots, old sinks, bathtubs, chairs, schooldesks, teacups, beds....you name it! If it will hold soil...it will hold a plant. One of my garden favs.....a childs bed. It's a couple of years old now and was originally planted as a quilt with a pillow. Now its just a catch all for extra seeds. I like that wild look aboutit. My sweetie and I got it for ten bucks and he...

More Discussions
Butterfly Feeder
Materials Needed: Decorative Saucer (found at local...
MrsPackRat
Dinner and a Drink Birdfeeder
Image by: fable Dinner and a Drink "Dinner and...
klynnnn
What do Junkers use for Flower Pots?
What do Junkers use for Flower Pots? Posted by Fanni:...
klynnnn
Butterfly Feeder
Materials Needed: Decorative Saucer (found at local...
MrsPackRat
Wire & Copper Art - Putting it all together
Image by: ZephyrSymphony ZephyrSymphony's Wire Art Wire...
klynnnn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™