What are Good Gardening Books for the Mid-Atlantic?

chrismd(7)January 1, 2013

*Posted by donnad z6 MD (My Page) on Thu, Jun 13, 02 at 22:56

What's your favorite gardening book? What book would you recommend to a gardener moving to this area? Thanks in advance for any replies!

*Posted by: drtynails z7 MD (My Page) on Fri, Jun 14, 02 at 11:39

"Gardening for Dummies" series. Very informative and amusing.

* Posted by: donnad z6 MD (My Page) on Fri, Jun 14, 02 at 22:37

My favorite book which is currently "Home Landscape: Mid-Atlantic Region" by Roger Holmes. It has several landscape designs you can really use - or in my case adapt.

* Posted by: Madgardenr z7WDC (My Page) on Thu, Jun 20, 02 at 21:57

My truly favorite, semi-regional book is "Time-Tested Plants" by Pamela Harper. While she lives a bit south of DC, her book is a wonderful compendium of what has worked for her and what hasn't over many years of gardening in heat and humidity, both of which we have in abundance. I love all her books, but this is my favorite. You might also look at "The Washington Post Garden Book" by Adrian Higgins.

* Posted by: Julia z7 MD (My Page) on Sat, Jun 22, 02 at 16:18

"Time Tested Plants" is a good one. Just thought you might want to know that the MD Extension Service sells its Maryland Master Gardener Handbook for $49 and has many other short publications for free or for cheap including a new one on natives I just ordered for $5. Most public libraries have a copy of the MGH you can look at in the reference section. Still reading copies of Henry Mitchell's books for inspiration. Of course, Dirr's "Manual of Woody Landscape Plants" is the one reference book you can't live without.

* Posted by: VALily (My Page) on Mon, Jun 24, 02 at 23:43

American Horticultural Society "A-Z Encyclopedia of Garden Plants". My all time favorite reference bible! Also really enjoy "Passalong Plants" by Steve Bender and someone else. Great read with loads of good information on Southern, easy to grow plants!

* Posted by: razmataz z7 VA (My Page) on Sun, Aug 18, 02 at 13:22

"Sunset Northeastern Garden Book" is my bible & I also like "Gardening with Native Plants of the South" by Sally Wasowski. Moved from CA to Va a couple of years ago & both have been extremely helpful.

* Posted by: foxbuild 6b (My Page) on Wed, Aug 28, 02 at 20:52

"Lasagna Gardening". Love it

*Posted by Mrsgreenjeans z6/7 SE/PA (My Page) on Fri, Nov 29, 02 at 14:10

Well, it's that time of year again when I start to spend more time indoors than I would like to. With the holidays coming, gardening books are always welcome. I would like to recommend "Month-By-Month GARDENING in PENNSYLVANIA" by Liz Ball. I do wish the chapters went from month to month rather than topic divided month by month, but very informative for our area. Also pertinent to our area, and excellent for information as well as the beautiful inspirational, photography are books by Ken Druse. I have "The Natural Shade Garden" and "Making More Plants", which happened to be one of last years...

More Discussions
What Can I Plant that is Deer Resistant?
What can I plant that is deer resistant? This list...
chrismd
What to Visit in the Mid- Atlantic? Try These!
What to Visit in the Mid-Atlantic Posted by ChrisMD...
chrismd
You Know You are a Compost Whacko When.......
This thread came from the Soil, Compost and Mulch forum....
chrismd
You Know You're a Redneck Gardener When....
I just had to save this LOL thread from the Southern...
chrismd
What is a Swap Meet and How Does It Work?
********* To find out what is happening in your area,...
chrismd
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™