What is a Swap Meet and How Does It Work?

chrismd(7)January 1, 2013

********* To find out what is happening in your area, check the Mid-Atlantic forum and its Conversations, and the Get-Togethers forum. Or check the local Pennsylvania, Virginia, or New Jersey forums.

* Posted by: rustynail z10 MD (My Page) on Wed, Jul 24, 02 at 6:31 Basically, what we've done in the past is this:

We pick a location and a date. Then the type 'A's start working. (I'm very shy so I'm merely the silent keeper of the lists.) You get all excited so you run out and dig and pot what you can spare and share; then you worry about whether you've dug and potted enough so you run back outside and...well, you repeat that process over and over until the day of the meet.

We have had MD and VA swaps in the Fall and there may be a NJ one also. Wow! We're quite into this! The MD one is our 3rd that I know of (Fall 2002). Most of us bring extras that we're willing to give away but of course, special plants you should arrange to trade; there are some very sophisticated gardeners in our group who can match your best with theirs. Watch 'Conversations' for more news and/or search the past pages. I guarantee you'll have a wonderful time and that it will be drearily rainy come swap day but if you let yourself go, you'll be a true MAGer in no time. Like everyone else, I always plan to stay an hour or so but end up leaving long past that time; I bring my DH to remind me that I have a home.

Fun and funny people in this Forum--I sure like them.

* Posted by: Treehouse z7 MD USA (My Page) on Wed, Jul 24, 02 at 12:48 Swaps can be lots of fun, and they are done different ways. You got the Mid-Atlantic style from rustynail.

The Lancaster, PA, style goes like this. There are no or very few prearranged swaps. You bring 12 plants for the exchange, something to eat for the picnic, a chair cuz Skeeter doesn't have a lot, and a card table to hide your new babies under. Some people brought little red wagons to haul their choices around rather than walk to and fro with the plants. You sign in, get a nametag and report the number of plants you brought. Your trades are put out in a specified area, and then you 'shop'- walk around and drool over all the goodies that are there. Eating is done BEFORE the swap- you need the energy and AFTER the swap cuz you are exhausted. At a specified time the swap leader gathers all the drool laden people. The swap leader reminds you about good manners and no fighting, calls out 'GO' and then you go and get the goodies you were drooling about. You take as many plants as you brought. There was such a variety that if you didn't get your first choice there was another beauty waiting for the taking. This is good for around 35 people. The main point is to socialize, and have fun.

* Posted by: rustynail z10 MD (My Page) on Wed, Jul 24, 02 at 20:05 Well, darn, Treehouse, that 'shop til you drop' approach takes all of the fun out it though you've got the eating and socializing part down pat! I had a blast scoping out my...

More Discussions
What are Good Gardening Books for the Mid-Atlantic?
*Posted by donnad z6 MD (My Page) on Thu, Jun 13, 02...
chrismd
How Does this FAQ Work?
This FAQ (Frequently Asked Question) forum is for questions...
chrismd
Least Favorite Gardening Trends...What NOT to do in Your Garden
Here's advice on what NOT to do in your garden..opinions...
chrismd
My Stupidest Gardening Mistake - or- We Were Once All Newbies
I stole this thread from the perennials forum. We need...
chrismd
Garden Heebie-Jeebies
* Posted by Veronicastrum z5 IL (My Page) on Wed, Jun...
chrismd
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™