My Stupidest Gardening Mistake - or- We Were Once All Newbies

chrismd(7)January 1, 2013

I stole this thread from the perennials forum. We need to remember that everyone makes mistakes.

Enjoy - chrisMD.

My Stupidest Garden Mistake......

Posted by NymphaeaRosa Z5/6 NJ (My Page) on Sat, Feb 9, 02 at 1:30

I'm an "intermediate" gardener I would say. I've been spending a LOT of time physically participating in gardening for about three years now (since I bought my home) and I spent....uh... more years than I care to mention watching my grandmother and father garden. I thought a good way to make "newbies" really comfy would be for other gardeners to share some stories about dumb mistakes they've made over the years (stop me if this has been done! PERISH I should be passe!)

MY STORY:

I could not LIVE without crocus! Just when winter grey is really getting to me...ta dah...there they are all perky and colorful! Just two years ago I planted about 350 of them (I'm not kidding...I mean I NEED crocus!)in my small front lawn. Well, my lawn was full of OPEN holes the next day since the squirrels ate nearly every one of them. I asked everyone I knew WHAT kept squirrels away. I was told kitty litter, dried blood, fox urine and mothballs. So...overdoing it again...I bought ALL FOUR things and mixed up a BIIIIIG batch of this foul smelling concoction. Then I replanted a few hundred MORE crocus but...duhhhh...I didn't know I was supposed to put all this vile stuff ON TOP of the ground to keep away the squirrels so I planted the crocus WITH heaps of the mothballs, etc. right on TOP of them...

I think about 12 crocus came up this year in my lawn.

PS Dried blood can be used as a fertilizer...hadda be the mothballs.

Posted by: Iris_gal z9 CA (My Page) on Sat, Feb 9, 02 at 1:52

Humorous now, but not then. I had a salad ready for company but had forgotten to pull up green onions earlier in the day. I knew where they were in the dark and in the kitchen began slicing - hmmm, don't look quite right - a taste confirmed they were not onions! I'd pulled up young Dutch iris. The 2 are not planted in proximity now.

Posted by: PattiA6290 7b ) on Sat, Feb 9, 02 at 8:17

A friend of mine had her son-in-law plant several hundred tulips for her one year. That next spring none of them came up. Miffed she was gonna return them to the nusery where she buys all of her plants. After she started digging them up she notice he had planted them all up side down. lol

Posted by: ilovecountrylife z5 MI (My Page) on Sat, Feb 9, 02 at 14:44

the very first year I started gardening was when I bought my first house. The previous owner had a 3' by 3' bed where she started seeds. I decided I was going to make it into a herb garden. I bought $50 worth of herb plants, chives, basil, tarragon, thyme, oregano, sage, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc. I planted them ALL in that little tiny 3'X 3' bed. Needless to say they crowded each other out and only the strongest few survived. I still laugh when I think about it.

Posted by: Karenga 7 (My Page) on Sat, Feb 9, 02 at...

More Discussions
How Does this FAQ Work?
This FAQ (Frequently Asked Question) forum is for questions...
chrismd
Least Favorite Gardening Trends...What NOT to do in Your Garden
Here's advice on what NOT to do in your garden..opinions...
chrismd
You Know You're a Redneck Gardener When....
I just had to save this LOL thread from the Southern...
chrismd
What are Good Gardening Books for the Mid-Atlantic?
*Posted by donnad z6 MD (My Page) on Thu, Jun 13, 02...
chrismd
Garden Heebie-Jeebies
* Posted by Veronicastrum z5 IL (My Page) on Wed, Jun...
chrismd
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™