Garden Heebie-Jeebies

chrismd(7)January 1, 2013

* Posted by Veronicastrum z5 IL (My Page) on Wed, Jun 18, 03 at 10:20

Okay all of you dedicated gardens, what things - plant, animal, other - give you the creeps in your garden?

In another thread I posted about Rudbeckia hirta. I am on a mission to eradicate it from my garden, but suddenly have developed an aversion to the hairy stems. Creeps me out to grab 'em and yank.

What does it to you?

* Posted by: Mad_Gallica Z5 NY (My Page) on Wed, Jun 18, 03 at 10:38

Large plants of purslane. Those fat, succulent stems that look like worms. Real worms don't bother me at all, but those fat red, stems. Ick. I know exactly what you mean.

* Posted by: LeeAnna z8 WA (My Page) on Wed, Jun 18, 03 at 11:15

Grabbing one of my one-gallon pots and feeling the slimy, boogery body of a big, fat slug with my bare hand. E Icky.

Spiders sometimes do it, too. Like when I'm standing in the middle of a bed weeding and I look down to see three daddy-long-legs climbing up my legs. Or the time I uncovered a big beetle the size of a quarter, picked it up to move out of harm's way, and eight legs unfurled. That was no beetle. Shudder.

* Posted by: Frizzle z6 PA (My Page) on Wed, Jun 18, 03 at 11:36

walking in sandles in the damp grass and scooping up a slug with the toe of the sandle but not realizing it until you have walked a bit more and smooshed it between your toes

* Posted by: Tiffy_z6aCan 6a (My Page) on Wed, Jun 18, 03 at 11:46

I have no aversion to picking up slugs with my bare hands. They make me sooooo MAD!!! But right now, I'm building another rock wall, and sometimes I pick-up a piece which has a slug underneath and in the process of lifting the rock, place my hand/fingers on the unseen slug and 'squish!' YUCK! As you can tell, I don't use gloves...

* Posted by: Artchik z5 IL (My Page) on Wed, Jun 18, 03 at 12:06

I am phobic about mice. Phobic to the point where any small mammal darting across my peripheral vision freaks me out. I actually screamed when I accidentally uncovered a rabbit nest in my garden bed a few weeks ago and a baby rabbit jumped out. Chipmunks scuttling behind shrubs make my heart race. My husband thinks I need therapy!

* Posted by: jboling Chicago area (My Page) on Wed, Jun 18, 03 at 12:07

Moving a large rock or other object that's been sitting in the same place for quite a while and seeing all the squirmy life underneath slithering away for cover. Doesn't happen often in my garden because I don't have too many stationary objects, so it must be a nightmarish memory from my childhood exploring days.

* Posted by: saucydog z5MA (My Page) on Wed, Jun 18, 03 at 12:10

I try not to look....but something sort of slithers through one of the beds I've been trying to weed.

I also don't like spiders, but I have those big "wood spiders" that look like tarantulas to me. E day I was potting things up for a swap, and it crawled out of the pot I grabbed. I threw the pot and ran in the house. When I came to my senses, I figured...

More Discussions
What is a Swap Meet and How Does It Work?
********* To find out what is happening in your area,...
chrismd
My Stupidest Gardening Mistake - or- We Were Once All Newbies
I stole this thread from the perennials forum. We need...
chrismd
You Know You're a Redneck Gardener When....
I just had to save this LOL thread from the Southern...
chrismd
What are Good Gardening Books for the Mid-Atlantic?
*Posted by donnad z6 MD (My Page) on Thu, Jun 13, 02...
chrismd
What is the Mid-Atlantic?
The "Middle Atlantic" colonies of the original...
chrismd
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™