What books are recommended for New England gardeners?

claireplymouth z6b coastal MAJanuary 1, 2013

New gardeners, or experienced gardeners who move to New England from very different climates, often ask for recommended books that are appropriate to our region.

This is a compilation of three related threads that were posted on the New England Gardening Forum. Some of these books are of most interest to New Englanders; others apply to gardening in general. Additional recommendations will be added as they appear.

The first thread discusses whether books are still relevant in a time when the internet teems with information, some of it much more current than any publication can carry. There are also some book recommendations in this thread.

The second thread is the main listing, with comments, of books New England Garden Webbers consider worth reading.

The third thread concerns Thalassa Cruso, an Englishwoman who moved to New England, wrote many useful books, and hosted a TV show remembered with delight by many of us.

................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Proposed FAQ on recommended books

Posted by claire z6b Coastal MA (My Page) on Mon, Jan 18, 10 at 14:39

I'm wondering if people think an FAQ on recommended gardening books would be useful.

This could be either general gardening books or those specific to New England Regional gardening, and an easy format would be to just copy a thread like this so that individual comments would be included.

What do people think?

Please post your recommendations on the other thread, but just comment here or there if you think it's a good idea.

Claire

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Proposed FAQ on recommended books

Posted by bill_ri_z6b (My Page) on Mon, Jan 18, 10 at 16:20

Claire, I have lots of gardening books. One of my first and favorites is a two volume set called "Exotica" by Dr. A. B. Graf. I bought it in the 70's for $75.00. A few years later I bought his book "Tropica" for $100.00. Now that's some serious money in those days! And although I did learn a lot from them many years ago, I find that browsing the internet is far more up-to-date. First of all, there are always changes in the taxonomy. I see many cases where the genus, species or even the family has been reclassified. Another thing is that seeing one single photo in the books gave me an impression of what I thought the plant looked like. Now, seeing some of the same plants online, with many more angles, perspectives and lighting conditions, etc. I have a new concept of many of them. Some are more attractive than I had thought, while others not so much. So I guess what I'm saying is that books are kind of old school where so many new plants and new ideas abound. Finally in these tough economic times, I don't know if people would care to spend money on books when the latest information is available for free. I know...

More Discussions
Can hemlocks be protected from the Hemlock Wooly Adelgid?
DEFINITION: The hemlock wooly adelgid (HWA), Adelges...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
What groundcovers are recommended for New England gardens?
Image by: Rubby Mazus reptans This thread was posted...
How do I keep the red lily leaf beetle from destroying my lilies?
Image by: Wendy Richardson Adult Red Lily Leaf Beetle ORIGIN: The...
How do I use HTML Code to change fonts and insert stuff in posts?
OK, so now you're comfortable with browsing the internet...
First spring peeper reports in New England:
2014 - March 30 in Dartmouth, MA Zone 6b, reported...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™