I Bought an Orchid, now what?

rhonda_in_fl(z9 SE Florida)January 1, 2013

Congratulations and welcome to the world of orchids! Contrary to popular belief, orchids are easy to grow! Following a few steps your plant will reward you with wonderful blooms year after year.

Proper care will ensure the blooms you are enjoying now will last as long as possible. Take your plant to the kitchen sink and run tepid water through the pot for several seconds, until you can see water flowing freely through the drain holes at the bottom. If the orchid is in an arrangement, you should take its pot out of the arrangement to water. Check your plant every few days by sticking your finger into the potting mix. If it is dry, water it in the same fashion. If it is still moist, wait a few days and check for moisture again.

If the orchid is part of an arrangement that you enjoy indoors, you may also mist blooms with tepid water once a day to keep them a bit fresher.

Once the plant has finished blooming, you should determine what care it requires during its growing season. If your plant came with an identification tag in the pot, use that to determine what type of orchid it is. Many orchids are easily adapted to different environments and knowing what kind of orchid it is will enable you to provide it with conditions it will thrive in. There are many books and online resources available to assist you with specific plant information.

More Discussions
Identifying orchids/What orchid is this?
Quite often plants are purchased without a tag. In...
michigoose
When should I pot a keiki?
Generally, the rule of thumb is to wait until the keiki's...
michigoose
What is a Keiki?
Keiki's are baby orchids which grow off a flower spike...
michigoose
What is a paphead, or paph-head
Paph-head or paphhead or any variation thereof is an...
michigoose
Why are my phal's leaves red, reddish or purple?
There are many reasons why this could happen, but here...
michigoose
Sponsored Products
Copper Envelope Wall Mailbox
Grandin Road
Full Reel LED Waterproof Flexible Light Strip - 15m (49ft)
Super Bright LEDs
Twillo Stadium Spice Rack
$9.99 | zulily
FreePad New Oriental Hand Knotted Heriz 8'x10' Rust Red/Navy Blue Wool Rug H4035
BH Sun Inc
Rustic Reclaimed California Dresser
Dot & Bo
Safavieh Natural Fiber Natural/ Light Blue Seagrass Rug (2'6 x 4')
Overstock.com
Area Rug: Night Flash Collection Multi Colored 39" x 58"
$59.97 | Home Depot
Plein Air Countryside I Wall Art
$199.00 | FRONTGATE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™