How Do You Dry Peppers?

dwallsJanuary 1, 2013

This is a thread cut & pasted into the FAQs.

Drying peppers for later use Posted by Cathy123 z5 IL (My Page) on Mon, Aug 5, 02 at 11:17

I am growing Serrano and Cayenne peppers this year for the first time. I am mainly growing them to feed to my parrot--he LOVES peppers, especially the seeds. Are there any quick and dirty instructions for how to dry peppers? Is there a certain way whole dried peppers should be stored? I'd like to save some of the harvest this way so I can give my bird some home-grown peppers during the winter.

Thanks for your help!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Follow-Up Postings: RE: Drying peppers for later use Posted by: Taba z5b MO (My Page) on Mon, Aug 5, 02 at 16:51

Lucky bird! I've only dried Habaneros and Jalapenos, but I imagine it would be the same process. I use a dehydrator.

I haven't tried drying whole because I grind them afterwards for spice mixes. I cut off tops, slice in half, remove seeds and placenta, then place in a single layer on the dehydrator screens.

It takes a couple of days to dry completely and it fills the house with pungent odor, so consider doing it in a well-ventilated area. Also make sure that they are completely dry - any moisture left will encourage mold during storage. I put the dried halves in a big freezer ziploc, and take them out when I need to grind more.

There may be a better way - this is just how I have been doing it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RE: Drying peppers for later use Posted by: John__ShowMe__USA 5 (My Page) on Mon, Aug 5, 02 at 17:36

Cathy123, Would your parrot eat frozen peppers? Just a thought. A lot easier than drying. I often throw throw peppers in a ziploc freezer bag for use in soups and stews later. (I also dry a lot)

JohnT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RE: Drying peppers for later use Posted by: Cathy123 z5 IL (My Page) on Mon, Aug 5, 02 at 17:49

He might eat frozen peppers, I've never tried giving them to him. His favorite parts of the peppers are the seeds and the stem--I'd like to find a method drying/freezing/preserving the peppers that keeps those intact. My father-in-law has a dehydrator, maybe he'd let me use it while visiting. Although he HATES hot stuff and would probably abhor the aroma of drying peppers. Hmm...

RE: Drying peppers for later use Posted by: Scribz z5 OH (My Page) on Mon, Aug 5, 02 at 18:11

Abhor, maybe not, but if you dry any quantity of hot peppers indoors, be prepared to fill your home with eye-burning, chest grabbing, cough and sneeze provoking fumes. Been there, done that. Recommend doing your drying out on the picnic table, patio or deck, especially if you dry habs. I have a yellow head Amazon, 17 yrs. old, hand-raised as a chick. Thinks he's...

More Discussions
How do I get rid of spider mites?
Spider mites can quickly eradicate your pepper plants!...
gwtamara
Do hot peppers require special fertilizers?
Growing hot pepper plants require very little special...
gwtamara
How Do I Identify The Species Of My Chile Pepper Plant? (Detailed Ver
Choose between the two options at each numbered step...
taba
How do I get my hands to stop burning ??? (Archived thread)
Posted by Eden7 SE USA on Sat, Jul 20, 02 at 14:31 I...
taba
Should I Plant My Peppers Deep? (Archived thread)
Posted by SteelToad Z7 DE on Fri, Mar 14, 03 at 10:34 Well,...
taba
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™