What Are Some Long-Flowering Perennials in Zone 3? (archived thread)

taba(z5b MO)January 1, 2013

Any long flowering perennials in zone 3 ?????

Posted by violet_zone_3 z3 Ont/Canada on Mon, Sep 9, 02 at 20:24s

I have read with the interest the similiar question from a fellow gardener in zone 7 and wondered if anyone in my zone could respond with some good suggestions. I find that the books and seed packets say "June to frost" and the plants barely flower for 4 weeks sometimes. Any good old standbys???

Posted by: ABgardeneer 3, Calgary on Tue, Sep 10, 02 at 0:24

Yes, lots! In no particular order, these perennials bloom for me from early summer to frost: yellow perennial flax (Linum flavum compactum), Veronica whitleyi (a groundcover that starts blooming with the tulips), Delphinium grandiflorum 'Blue Elf', astrantia (even after the flower has dried up in very late summer, it still has the appearance of a fresh bloom), western Canada violet (Viola rugulosa), Corydalis lutea and also the blue-flowered types, Symphyandra hoffmannii, lady's mantle, Aquilegia vulgaris (they bloom throughout the summer here), Clematis integrifolia, fern-leafed bleeding hearts, tiarella's, lamium, repeat-blooming shrub roses...

Those with very long blooms (though not as long as those above because they start a bit later): Primula florindae and alpicola (both from midsummer to fall), Campanula punctata, Campanula persicifolia, Digitalis grandiflora (perennial yellow foxglove), Jerusalem sage (Phlomis tuberosa), Heliopsis helianthoides 'Summer Sun', repeat-blooming daylilies (e.g. Stella D'Oro), potentilla's (the shrubs), sea holly (this gives the impression of long bloom because the flower dries but looks fresh)...

Just by planting different kinds of asiatic lilies and daylilies, you can have bloom from early June into September (though not from the same plant). Add oriental lilies and various species lilies for even more late bloom.

Whew, this is all I can think of off the top of my head... Don't limit yourself only to plants with very long bloom times - it's great to collect plants that bloom early (spring bulbs, irises, peonies, etc.) and late (goldenrod, Morden mums, late asters, Joe Pye, culver's root, etc.), so that there's always a good variety of bloom and color. It's great fun and very rewarding to achieve this! Go for it! Lori

Posted by: violet_zone_3 z3 Ont/Canada on Wed, Sep 11, 02 at 15:20

Lori, thanks for your long list, many of which I don't recognize. I will be searching seed catalogues for them. You're right, not to think of long bloomers for all plants, but I just wanted a core group of such plants and then branch out into early, mid and late bloomers for that continuous colour in the garden. Your being in the same zone will really be a help to me, as seed catalogues and books say one thing and reality is often diffrent in Zone 3! Thanks again for your reply. And happy gardening!

Posted by: Barb1963 CanadaZ3a on Fri, Sep 13, 02 at 11:33

Just a few to add that have been long bloomers for me here in zone 3.

Dianthus Zing...

More Discussions
How Do I Prepare Perennials for Winter? (archived thread)
sue - I have a small flower garden(perennials) day...
taba
My Stupidest Garden Mistake - or - We Were Once All Newbies
Many thanks to ChrisMD for saving this excellent thread...
gwtamara
What Are Some Perennials Requiring Little or No Division?
— Archived thread.— No division perennials Posted...
taba
Why Blue?
Thanks to ChrisMD on the MidAtlantic Gardening forum...
taba
Some Little-Known Plants for Fall Gardens
Thanks to ChrisMD on the MidAtlantic Gardening forum...
taba
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™