What Are Some Perennials Requiring Little or No Division?

taba(z5b MO)January 1, 2013

— Archived thread.—

No division perennials

Posted by TamaraVa z7bVa on Wed, Jan 8, 03 at 15:20
Hi everyone!! I need some input on some perennials that HATE to be divided. Last year I hurt my back so I am slowly converting my garden into a no divide zone.So far I have planted Baptisia,callihoe,Russian sage,and Iberis along with my shrubs.It is killing me to let go of my ornamental grasses(any ideas on a grass that wants to be left alone?)Asclepsia's are too buggy for me...always covered with aphids.Too bad,one year I had a bumper crop of monarch butterflies.Thanks in advance for any input.
Tamara

Posted by: iann z8/9 England on Wed, Jan 8, 03 at 17:57
Iberis sempervirens? No need to divide it but you will need to cut it back after flowering. Sounds like a lot of bending down.
--ian

Posted by: Taryn S Ontario Z6B on Wed, Jan 8, 03 at 19:15
Peony
Papaver orientale
Helleborus
Dicentra eximia

Know the feeling....
Taryn

Posted by: Tim_Sullivan z4NY ) on Wed, Jan 8, 03 at 19:22
Peonies, astilbe, Japanese anemone, ligularia "the rocket". lilies, daylilies, sedums . . . but here is a question: why do you feel you have to get rid of your grasses, etc? Surely you know people who would like a piece. Just invite them to come and take off a piece or two. Your grasses are still around, they're contained and someone else is very happy.
Also, maybe try planting things that spread in five-gallon plastic buckets with the bottoms cut off. We do this all the time with things like mint and it works.
Tim
Posted by: Laurie_KY6 z6 KY on Wed, Jan 8, 03 at 20:05
Astilbe? Now you tell me. My 'bible' on dividing (The Well Tended Perennial Garden) recommends dividing astilbes every 3 years or so. Sure enough, mine were huge by the third year. They were one tough job. I had to take a sharpened spade and jump on it to split the 'bulb'. I'm anxious to see what the divisions look like in the spring. Even cut in half, I had large astilbes to replant.

I did a lot of dividing this fall and do not relish doing it again in the near future. Posted by: TamaraVa z7bVa on Wed, Jan 8, 03 at 20:30
Thanks Laurie,I have to get that book (the bible).I just remembered she has a wonderful list in the back for just this subject. What does she say about echinacea? Now,Tim, can I really leave the grasses in the ground and just thin it out? I thought they died out from the center? Boy that would be great if I could just dig around a bit.I certainly don't have the giants of the grass world.I have Panicum"shenandoah" 4 ft tops and Muhlenbergia capilliaris( which I wouldn't give up, I'll pay someone to divide if I have to!!)Schizachyrium "the blues"will be manageable.Daylilies!! I can really leave them be? You folks have save the day with your kind suggestions!!.I can still have my old friends in the garden with the bum back.
Tamara Posted by: david_5311 Z 5b/6a SE Mich on Wed, Jan 8, 03 at 20:36
Geraniums (cranesbills, hardy g.) rarely if ever...

More Discussions
How Do I Prepare Perennials for Winter? (archived thread)
sue - I have a small flower garden(perennials) day...
taba
What Are Some Long-Flowering Perennials in Zone 3? (archived thread)
Any long flowering perennials in zone 3 ????? Posted...
taba
Why Blue?
Thanks to ChrisMD on the MidAtlantic Gardening forum...
taba
My Stupidest Garden Mistake - or - We Were Once All Newbies
Many thanks to ChrisMD for saving this excellent thread...
gwtamara
Some Little-Known Plants for Fall Gardens
Thanks to ChrisMD on the MidAtlantic Gardening forum...
taba
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™