How do you mulch your squares?
Ray_Scheel(z8b/SS31 E. TX)January 1, 2013
With a whole range of materials! A few things we use:
- Carpet squares turned upside down, with holes cut for the plants
- Newspaper with grass clippings or other material on top
- Cedar mulch or other pre-packaged wood mulch from the garden center
- Free wood chips from tree-trimming companies or the city trimmers
- Straw (Hay has seeds! Don't use that!)
- Shredded paper (reuse that junk mail!)
- Compost, half-finished compost, crumbly decomposting shredded leaves
- Red plastic (under tomatoes and strawberries-- increases the harvest!)
- We hear varied reports about the black plastic "weed cloth" stuff. Almost everyone says the thin, cheaper stuff is worthless; some say that the thicker stuff works well, and others say it's not worth the expense.