What are some good beginner plants for a cactus/succulent terrarium?

paul_(z5 MI)January 1, 2013

Unfortunately, truth be told, there really aren't any for a closed terr. This question comes up every so often -- not surprising as there are some neat cacti and succulents out there. That being the case, rather than simply omit any reference to desert terr, it seemed wise to address this issue.

Cacti as a whole do not make good terr inhabitants. The main problem is moisture. Most cacti and many succulents come from extremely arid environments. The terrarium is just the opposite - the whole idea is to maintain humidity. Faced with the higher humidity & stagnant air, cacti and many succulents do very poorly and soon suffer from fungal/bacterial problems. Light is another problem. Most require very high light levels. But in the close confines of a terr, this results in high temps that would "cook" them.

Now an open terrarium would be a different situation. It would likely be very challenging but might be possible. As people experiment with plants for such a terr, I hope they will let me know as to their successes and failures.

Some possible candidate plants to experiemnt with if one does decide to attempt an open terr/desertarium might be:

sago palms (while they are small, of course)

Peperomias

Jade plants

More Discussions
Can animals be placed in a terrarium?
It is possible to create realistic set ups which include...
paul_
Can a sealed environment go on perpetually?
Ideally, yes. In reality no -- at least none that man...
paul_
What is a Paludarium?
A particular biotope tank with an open water area in...
paul_
How often should I water my terrarium?
That all depends on your plants. There is no one "recipe"...
paul_
common terms & abbreviations
Biotope tank = a tank that seeks to accurately represent...
paul_
Sponsored Products
Vining Mixed Greens with Decorative Stand Silk Plant
Overstock.com
Cactus Cup Planter
$11.99 | Dot & Bo
Wood & Iron Plant Stand
$69.99 | zulily
Transitional Style White Ceramic Table Lamp with Beige Fabric Shade
ParrotUncle
Jaipur Poeme Alsace Transitional Floral Pattern Wool Tufted Rug - RRD017019-0005
$455.00 | Hayneedle
Laura Ashley Preserved Natural Boxwood 28-inch Cone Topiary
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™