Lady slippers are so beautiful, can I grow them?

gwtamaraJanuary 1, 2013

Posted by Joan Zimmerman: I just saw a picture of Lady Slippers in "Country" magazine, and I just have to have them. Is there any place I can get them? Can they be grown under a large Maple tree in the shade?

Char Bezanson: In Minnesota, where the pink Showy Ladyslipper is the state flower, they are becoming rare. A quote from Welby Smith, Minnesota State Botanist and author of the recently published book Orchids of Minnesota: "Our native orchids, and indeed all our native plants, are in a steep decline. Loss of habitat is the main cause, but even where habitat can be protected, orchids still face the threat of species-specific exploitation. Stories abound of unscrupulous nursery workers removing truckloads of yellow ladyslippers from forests... These orchids often end up in reputable nurseries under the misleading label of 'nursery propagated', which means only that they have been held in the nursery for a minimum of one growing season. There has been some recent success with tissue culturing,

but survival is poor. Some can be propagated through division, but the process is so slow it is commercially unviable. As a result, essentially all of the native orchids that are sold commercially are taken from the wild."

Linda Darnton: In Michigan, Ladyslippers are an endangered species. The few in my area grow in extremely moist organic soil in the shade. If one comes across a patch, it is kept a secret. Further, they do not always appear each year.

Ron m: I have been working with yellow lady slippers,they take 3 years from seed to flower. The only current technique is to flask the seeds in a technique called sterile propagation.I have checked from coast to coast and there are no commercial growers anywhere in the USA . All flowers are currently being harvested from the wild !!

Skip MNZ4: There are several insects that pollinate Cypripedium spp, as well as some of the other native orchids. The job falls to bees, moths, butterflies,

gnats, mosquitos (tell that to your local mosquito control advocates) although I have been told that pollination by insects for a large number of native orchids has not been observed. It is true that the insect, say the bee, gets scant little in return for all the trouble. It has to be tricked twice in order for pollination to occur. Once on the way in to pick up the pollen and a second time on the visit to a different flower. So you see, it doesn't take a retarded bee, just one that hasn't been instructed in the ways of the native orchids.

Alex T. - 5: What is this mycorhizal fungus that affects members of the Cypripedium genera?

Skip MNZ4: With respect to the fungus that is reportedly attacking members of the Genus Cypripedium, permit me to quote from Orchids of Minnesota by Welby R. Smith. Smith is a botanist with the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources and coordinator of the endangered plant species program. This presumably symbiotic union is termed "mycorrhiza." In this association, the...

More Discussions
What can you tell me about buying and propagating woodland plants?
Posted by mary ann: I just recently purchased two acres...
gwtamara
What can be planted in an urban shade garden?
Posted by Jackie Fox: I have a townhouse with a back...
gwtamara
What will bloom in woodlands in the summer?
Posted by Mari - 7: I have very dark shaded woods and...
gwtamara
What will grow in a wet woods?
Posted by Donna - 6: My husband and I have been trying...
gwtamara
What should I plant in heavy shade?
Posted by Jean Ramseur - 4: I have an area where there...
gwtamara
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™