The Dual Purposes of Winter Sowing

trudi_dJanuary 1, 2013

What's that "LEAP OF FAITH" I see mentioned?

Winter Sowing is more than an adaptable and easy means to produce a limitless amount of seedlings at a penny-pinching cost, it is ALSO a capable means of producing a more positive personal outlook. I am not trained as a psychologist but just from a layman's observation of reading the forum posts and my own emails I can say positively that Winter Sowing has shown to have an extremely beneficial effect upon mental health.

Gardeners who previously felt trapped inside their homes during Winter and shut down from their outdoor connection are going outside into the fresh air on a daily basis and are staying connected with the soil and the natural environment. They're getting vitamin D and all the beneficial rays that keep our spirits up helping to prevent or lessen winter depression.

Being creative by choosing seeds and making the little mini-greenhouses from recyclables is soothing. Sowing seeds at the sink is similar on a subliminal level to making mudpies when we were young....it's comfort food for the soul. Bringing seeds to life through our nurturing satisfies the parent in us.

It's that reward for "keeping the faith" of seeing the emergence of green seedlings that is so stimulating to our minds and hearts. Faith rewarded feels incredibly good and inspires us to efforts that also produce similar feelings....it inspires (in an almost addictive manner) continued creativity and success.

Trudi Davidoff

More Discussions
When should I stop?
You stop when it gets too warm at night. Some seeds...
trudi_d
There's a huge storm coming! My flats will be blown away! Help!
Your flats are not entirely at the mercy of Mother...
trudi_d
Extreme Climate Winter Sowing.....zones 2,3,4
Here's a list of perennials to germinate via winter...
trudi_d
Is there Spring and Summer Sowing? (seed lists included)
Yes you can do this, most certainly. What you need...
trudi_d
How to Winter Sow Seeds Outdoors
Image by: gardenweed_z6a Milk jug containers How to...
gwtamara
Sponsored Products
Joy Carpets Ribbons & Bows Area Rug - 433-B-BLUE
$129.99 | Hayneedle
Hampton Bay Ceiling Fans Devereaux II 52 in. Gunmetal Ceiling Fan grey AL685-GM
Home Depot
Palm Tree Cooler Glasses
Classic Hostess
Neutral White 5050 LED Super Flat Rope, 60/m, White Finish, Reel
EnvironmentalLights.com
Kenroy Home Outdoor Lighting. Belmont 58 in. Oil Rubbed Bronze Outdoor Floor Lam
Home Depot
Shelti Foos 200 Foosball Table - GS-A-DC
$859.00 | Hayneedle
Wooden Stepladder
$89.00 | FRONTGATE
Kensington Sheet Set
$649.00 | FRONTGATE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™