Making and Sowing Flats

trudi_dJanuary 1, 2013

To make a flat you take the foil container (of course it's clean, washed in hot soapy water) and a paring knife. Stab a few slits in the bottom of the pan, this is for drainage. Now fill the pan with soil to about a half inch from the top. Give it a real good drink and let it drain. I do this in my kitchen. (I have a sprayer on a hose at the sink and I use this for the watering, works well and doesn't gouge out holes in the soil). After the pan has drained sow your seeds and pat them down. Cover them with more soil to the correct depth if necessary. I like growing plants with tiny, tiny seeds, they're really just the very most easiest to sow. Sprinkle them on top of the soil, pat them down, and that's that.

Now you need to put the lid on BUT FIRST.........and this is the very most important step.......take the knife and poke several slits in the clear plastic lid. This is for air transpiration. Think about it, you're making a little mini greenhouse. If you don't vent the air that is heated by the sun you'll cook your flat and the seeds won't germinate. You've baked them to death. Okay, put the lid on secure by folding down the foil rim. Now the seeds are sown.

For more flat suggestions read the FAQ called "Poster Suggestions for Flats to be Made from Recyclables"

Thanks,

Trudi

More Discussions
How to Winter Sow Seeds Outdoors
Image by: gardenweed_z6a Milk jug containers How to...
gwtamara
When should I stop?
You stop when it gets too warm at night. Some seeds...
trudi_d
Labeling Flats so the Name Doesn't Fade from the Sun
Get some freezer or duct tape, or any other tape that...
trudi_d
Winter Sown Vegetables
Corn, Beans, and Squash Winter Sowing is fabulous for...
trudi_d
Temperate Climate Plant Names Indicative of Winter Sowing
Spring Bloomer ~ English Primrose Look for names that...
trudi_d
Sponsored Products
Ultima Thule Set of 2 Old Fashioned Glasses by Iittala
$55.00 | Lumens
MLB 12 x 15 in. Mickey Mantle-Roger Maris New York Yankees Player Plaque Multico
$32.99 | Hayneedle
Humanity Bowl
$91.49 | zulily
Radionic Hi Tech Pendant Lights Nella 3-Light Polished Chrome Round Pendant
Home Depot
Gold 134704-R 5C Green Wire 100 LED Christmas Net Light
EnvironmentalLights.com
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Kas Rugs Rugs Solid Texture Mocha 8 ft. x
Home Depot
European Quilted Annette Sham - BLUE (EUROPEAN)
$66.00 | Horchow
Fitzgerald Ottoman - Lucky Turquoise Blue
Joybird Furniture
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™