o Can I use honey instead of sugar in a hummingbird feeder?

Why You Should NEVER Use Honey:

A honey water solution served up in hummingbird feeders can quickly become toxic and deadly. Honey rapidly ferments and also cultures a deadly bacterium. Contrary to popular belief, honey is not "more natural" than the cane sugar that is sold as white sugar. Honey has been chemically altered by honey bees: it is flower nectar and whatever ever else the honey bee ingested, digested, and spit back out again. Honey is nothing like the sucrose found in flower nectar and white sugar.

Again, plain white table sugar dissolved in water in a four-to-one solution is about as close to real flower nectar as you can get.

Feeder and Feeding Facts ŠALG and GARDEN WEB. Please reference these sources if you use the above information as presented here in any form or media other than for personal, individual use.

Entered by CMWren

        Hummingbird Garden FAQ Page


GardenWeb Home Page | Forums | Hummingbird Garden Forum
 
 
Click here to learn more about in-text links on this page.